Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Invisible Girl.....


It is that awkward stage a young person goes through. A 'bildungsroman' is something that is not uncommon in the life of most adolescents. In particularly, the story that most youngsters go through pertaining to multiple encounters which untimatley contribute to the development of this person. This story is exactly what the Invisible Man is about. However, not only is it about just the Invisible Man, it is about me. I am the Invisible girl, going through this crazy thing called life. But wait, not only is this story about the Invisible Man, and about me, it is about every person who takes the plunge into adulthood, and not knowing any idea as to what direction they are going. We see this crazy style a lot as the 'awkward' boy is growing up. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, Earnest Hemmingway's Nick Adams stories, and William Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust are just to name a few stories featuring young people trying to find themselves in life.
Everything that happens in this novel is central in the IM's development, just like everything that happens in my life is important in my growth. I think that most of these problems that the IM faces, ordinary everyday people face as well....and I believe that is why this book hits close to home with many. For the most part, this novel's main idea is the narrator's attempt to discover his true identity. One of the most important ideas to remember is that through his journey he makes connections between his nature and his society, his own self and his relationships with others, and the actual importance of invisibility. All of these factors contribute greatly in the attempt for the IM to find out who he is, what he is, and where he is going.
I guess my point is that this is a novel that I can see myself.....even though I am NOTHING like the IM himself, and I think that this is the importance of the story. Where there are 'road movies', there are 'growth books'. It is some what dumb, so many stories take place within the self, just like life. Life takes place within the self.
So until next time, I will continue to discover myself.....then again do we ever stop discovering?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home