Thursday, November 16, 2006

Class Notes....11/16


Let's be creative for a minute.......who would you think that I look like here? I actually came across this picture yesterday and when I first saw it I said, Lolita! And I did not think that it was me. I believe I am Lolita in this picture because it is a gothic picture that shows hardly any emotion at all on the outside.....but if you look further there is much more there.....
I was extremely interested in today's class lecture, and I hope everyone took careful note of the beautiful butterfly that I drew on the board! Here are some notes to reminise on before we meet again....
--The Beautiful name LOLITA has come to mean a very sexual girl...and young girl at that...
--Mac McCullough was a man who Dr. Sexon worked with who first introduced him to the novel Lolita, and Dr. Sexon addmitted that he read the book because he thought it was 'dirty'....
--The 7 Aspects of a novel according to Nabokov:
-Parody
-Coincidence
-Patterning
-Allusion
-Work within a Work
-Staging of a Novel
-Authorial Voice
--A Nymphete is an immature but sexually attractive girl
--Pupa is the Latin word for Doll. and one of Lolita's names is Dolly.....
--One of the themes found in Lolita is the chaning into something beautiful....like a caterpillar metamorphing into a butterfly...
--Our psyche is something withing our sould or mind...
--On page 314 of the novel Lolita, Nabokov reminds us of the use or art and how aesthetic bliss is connected with art.....it's curiosity, tenderness, kindness, and ecstacy...
I thought that these were some of the more memorable points from the lecture today....
If any of you read my blog I wrote yesterday, I talked about a passage by Northrop Frye that really made me think of the way I read into things. Well after a discussion in my other class, I have found that I am no longer confused. We talked about the story Alice in Wonderland, and how if we questioned every little thing that happened in the story literally, then we would get no where in literature. According to Dr. Sexon, in order to take things literally you MUST buy into the story and accept it on it's own imagionative terms....
Interpretation can often lead to false ideas and that is why it is important to accept what is written on the page and appriciate it as well as experience it.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home